Septemeber is quickly approaching, and next comes Fall! Yayyyyyyyyy! Unfortunately here in south Florida, we don’t get many cold days. But no matter where you are, this soup is always a good idea!
I made it yesterday so we would have it for dinner, then leftovers could be lunch for my husband and I. You can cut the recipe in half if your just cooking for one, or you could double it to make a huge batch.
If your trying to stick to a Vegan diet, then cut out the chicken sausage and maybe throw in extra kale or some carrots.
- 1 large bunch of Laciento Kale
- 1 large sweet onion
- 2- 32 oz cartons of organic veggie broth
- 6-8 organic chicken sausages (mild,medium,or hot)
- 5 large garlic cloves
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- 2 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 2 cans of organic white beans
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 cups water
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a medium size pot, over medium heat, drizzle in your oil, and break apart the sausage. You want to brown it, and cook it all the way through. Once that’s done, scoop out and reserve in a bowl.
- Turn the heat down to low and add in the chopped garlic and onion. Remove the thyme from its stems, and toss that in. You want to cook the onion until they are soft. (Smells good huh?)
- Add the broth and water into the pot, and begin to scrape all the brown bits from the sausage off the bottom.
- Salt and pepper. You want to add a fair amount of salt, but always start off light because you can always add more.
- You can add the sausage back in now, along with the bay leaves and beans. Be sure to drain those first.
- last, wash and remove the stems from the kale. Give it a rough chop and add it into the pot.
- Bring the soup to a steady boil, stir, then return to low and let it simmer for at least an hour. Remember to taste it and see if you want to add more salt.
This soup always tastes better the next day. I hope you enjoy! Oh and don’t eat the bay leaves 😉😉
One thought on “Easy weeknight kale and chicken sausage soup”