October is here and it’s time for pumpkins, cozy sweaters, and soup!
This veggie soup is SO easy to throw together, that you will be making it over and over again this season!
Its super hearty and healthy, so you can feel good about eating it 🙂
you will need a medium size pot
- 4 carrots
- 4 stalks of celery
- 3 medium zucchinis
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 medium bunch of lacinto kale
- 2 cans of canneli beans
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 2-32 oz cartons of organic veggie broth
- 1-28 oz can of crushed fire roasted tomatoes
- 2 tbsp EVOO
Feel free to add in other veggies that you love, such as broccoli or cauliflower.
- Give your veggies and rough chop. You can make them as little or big as you prefer.
- Chop the garlic
- drain the beans and set aside
- remove the stems from the kale and give it a rough chop, making sure the pieces aren’t to big.
- Drizzle the EVOO in the bottom of your pot, on medium/low heat
- toss in the onion and garlic, stirring
- next you can add the celery and carrots, string occasionally until they have softened.
- Season everything with the thyme and fresh cracked pepper and salt. My rule with salt is to do a little at a time. Tasting your food along the way is important so you know when the seasoning is to your liking.
- Toss in the bay leaves
- bring the heat up a little higher and add in the tomatoes and cartons of broth.
- Last you can add in the Kale and beans.
- Bring to a boil and stir, then turn it down to low and let it simmer for a couple hours. Give it a stir occasionally.
Now for the croutons..
preheat your oven to 400
you will need a cookie sheet and some Italian bread or whatever you have in your pantry.
break the bread up into medium size chunks, drizzle with evoo and give them a heavy sprinkle with grated Parmesan cheese. My fav is locatelli.
Bake them until they are a golden brown. You will need to keep an eye on them to make sure they don’t burn. I’d say mine took about 8-10 mins.
Serve your soup in a medium size bowl while it’s nice and warm and top with the crunchy Parmesan croutons. I finished it off with a sprinkle of parmesan cheese!